Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question? We have an answer.
Below you’ll find answers to the questions we get asked the most about our transformers, our capabilities, and our company.
What type of conductor is used in Niagara Power Transformers?
Copper or Aluminum.
What types of windings does Niagara Power Transformer offer?
- Circular layer
- Rectangular layer
- Circular disc
- Helical disc
- Wire and sheet windings
What is the difference between a Step-Down Transformer vs. Step-Up Transformer?
The main difference is the number of turns a winding has on the primary coil vs the secondary coil. More turns on the primary coil will give you a step-down transformer which reduces the voltage from the input to output whereas a step-up transformer would be constructed the opposite way; more winding turns on the secondary for increased voltage.
What types of transformers does Niagara Power Transformer offer?
Liquid filled substation and special application transformers.
What types of transformer liquids does Niagara Power Transformer Corp. offer?
- Mineral Oil
- Seed Oils
Why Niagara Power Transformer Corp.?
- Best in class, industry leading quality
- Over 85+ years of transformer industry experience
- Over 75,000+ transformers shipped to date
- Over 400 years of transformer specific design experience, 700 years of transformer specific manufacturing experience
- Privately owned – no private equity, ownership stability over 95 years.
What is Niagara Power Transformer’s MVA and voltage capacity?
50 MVA Base Rating, 100MVA fan rating, 138,000 volts, 650kV BIL
What is the lifespan of a transformer?
The average lifespan of a liquid filled transformer is 25 years.
What types of transformers can Niagara manufacture?
- Rectifier Duty Transformer
- Substation Transformer
- Generator Step-Up Transformer (GSU)
- Grounding Transformer
- Traction Duty Transformers
- Liquid Filled Transformers
- Load Tap-Changing Transformers (LTC)
- Voltage Regulators
- Mining Duty Transformers
- Motor Starting Auto-Transformers
- Auxiliary Transformer
- Electric Utility Grade Transformer
- Drive Duty Transformers
- Furnace Transformer
- Test Transformer
- Marine Offshore Duty Transformers
- General Purpose Transformer
- Isolation Transformer
- Power Transformer
- Step-Down Transformer
- Phase Shifting Transformer
- Power Potential Transformer (PPT)
- Excitation Duty Transformer
- Unit Auxiliary Transformer (UAT)
- Inverter Duty Transformers
- Collector Transformers
Where does Niagara Power Transformer Corp. manufacture?
All our transformers are designed and manufactured in Buffalo, New York, USA. Niagara Power Transformer controls all tank fabrication, welding, painting, and winding, in house.
What are the main benefits of a liquid filled transformer?
Higher energy efficiency, durability, short circuit strength, low sound level, lower maintenance costs, and longer useful life expectancy.
Is Niagara Power Transformer Corp. family owned?
Yes, since its inception in 1924, Niagara Power Transformer has been led by three generations of the Darby family with John F. Darby its current president.
How many Transformers has Niagara Power Transformer shipped?
Niagara Power Transformer shipped over 75,000 transformers.
Where does Niagara Power Transformer Corp. ship to?
Niagara Power Transformer has shipped transformers to over 80 countries in all 7 continents.